The Business Year

Search
Close this search box.
MX21_GE_EDF

MEXICO - Green Economy

Gerardo Pérez Guerra

Vice President & Country Manager, EDF

Bio

Gerardo Pérez Guerra has over 25 years of experience in the energy sector. He is the former CEO of Acciona Windpower. He previously worked for Siemens Mexico for 23 years.

"We were recently invited to bid on a Mexico City government project to install rooftop solar power in the supply center."
EDF Renewables has expanded its offerings to offer its clients a full complete product suite for onsite energy solutions including solar, battery storage, EV charging, microgrids, and energy management systems.
How close is EDF Renewables to launching additional projects in Mexico?

We are waiting to complete the consultation process for one of our projects that started after the pandemic broke out. The project is located in two different municipalities of Oaxaca. Around 80% of the project will be in the jurisdictions of Unión Hidalgo in terms of the number of turbines that will be installed in that territory. The other 20% of the project will be in the jurisdiction of Juchitán, a municipality that went through a significantly prolonged period of restrictions related to COVID-19. The area of the Secretariat of Energy that oversees community consultations initiates the process in June, and if all goes according to plan, the goal is to finish it in about six weeks. This pending phase consists of acquiring community approval through agreements in which the entire population meets, and a vote is carried out among the locals.

How is EDF Renewables readjusting the estimated cost of its project considering the increase in commodity prices?

Material prices have increased 15-20% and we are looking for ways to mitigate the increase cost to maintain profitability on this project.

Why did the company invest in acquiring companies that are dedicated to distributed generation systems in the US?

In the last six years, EDF Renewables has acquired two companies in the US that focus on distributed generation solar and storage business to meet the growing demand of corporate and industrial customers seeking cost-effective renewable energy sources. We also acquired PowerFlex that specializes in electric vehicles (EV) charging technology. Through the PowerFlex subsidiary, EDF Renewables offers a full complete product suite for onsite energy solutions to include solar, battery storage, EV charging, microgrids, and energy management systems. Additionally, in the US, EDF Renewables through a joint venture company with Shell has obtained the rights to develop and build one of the largest offshore wind power projects off the coast of New Jersey.

How is EDF Renewables committed to the development of projects in Mexico?

We were recently invited to bid on a Mexico City government project to install rooftop solar power in the supply center. We have also expressed our intention to support in any way, be it experience, construction, or operation, the efforts of the Sonora government in terms of its proposed photovoltaic park, which will be the largest on the continent. It will be 1,000MW, although they will start with 300MW initially. We also carried out some asset optimization and management operations for other wind and solar projects as an external provider; we operate and run it as if it were our own. In fact, we have very important companies as clients that have placed their trust in us. We look forward to continuing the development of our projects in Mexico and finding new opportunities. Although the current government has the possibility and power to make changes and establish new rules, we believe they cannot be retroactive. New energy rules in Mexico can come into effect as soon as the government decides to change them. Consequently, each company will determine if they can continue with those rules and their operations in Mexico.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

You may also be interested in...

MX24_RC_HILTI_eduardo

MEXICO - Real Estate & Construction

Eduardo Silva

Interview

President & CEO, Hilti

MX24_RC_VENIT_luca

MEXICO - Real Estate & Construction

Luca Piccolo

Interview

CEO, Venit

SKY

MEXICO - Real Estate & Construction

Federico Cerdas

Interview

CEO, Global Business & Skyhaus

View All interviews

Countries

Countries

Become a sponsor