The Business Year

Close this search box.

Paris Valladares

Managing Director Latin America, Kriptos

Mauricio Benavides

CEO, Metabase Q

With greater general awareness and innovation, cybersecurity in Mexico will only continue to improve in the region in the coming years.

What opportunities did you identify in Latin America’s cybersecurity market?

PARIS VALLADARES With my team, we have seen several changes to the policies. There are policies for the use of credit cards in Mexico. About 90% of credit cards are in the appropriate area; the main concern is that remaining 10%. When users use credit cards, there are often potential leakages of data. Our goal is to help to find this 10% of information that is left in many different areas across the processes. In Kriptos, we use a system to enter into the infrastructure of a company in order identify the users and areas in order to identify the most critical areas and users to determine where the information leakage is. For example, there are copies of information on credit cards in some divisions of a company that do not need this information. Our goal is to correctly identify these documents to connect them with any tool available in the market such as CASB or DLP technology. There is classified and restricted data that not everyone should access, and the tool knows who can access each particular piece of information.

MAURICIO BENAVIDES Cybersecurity has become a must-have across every business entity globally, but the distribution of knowledge and technologies is not consistent. I live in Mexico but spend time in Silicon Valley and have always been struck by the fact that most new and innovative technologies across industries were not in Latin America. My partner, a former venture capitalist, and I decided this was an opportunity to change the landscape of cybersecurity in Latin America. We partnered with the most sophisticated tools and teams globally and started to build local teams in parallel to protect companies from cyber-attacks. When we first entered the region, we found a lack of education; now, since there are attacks every day, people are getting more familiar with the concept and the need to be more careful. We still believe there is a long way to go, but we are transforming cybersecurity in Latin America through leading technologies, local talent, education, and regulation.

There is a great deal of competition in the market in terms of cybersecurity. What added value do you provide?

PV We are definitely adding several values. One of them is to unify criteria for classification. We want to make processes shorter through AI. Some processes that took years are now being done in a matter of weeks. We conducted a study on 245 companies in finance and retail in Latin America, and 90% said the classification of information is extremely important, while 70% said they did not have a process to classify information. Furthermore, 90% of that 70% did not have a budget to classify information. In that regard, we have arrived in the market to provide a market value for companies. We allow them to make use 100% of their documents and have absolute control over their information. We help them ensure there are no security breaches due to human factors. We have come to provide a different overview on the industry. Cybersecurity is one of the sectors has been the least affected by the growing use of cellphones and other technological innovations. In addition, the new regulations mandate that financial companies know what treatment is being given to client data. The regulations also require these companies to identify the most critical points of the data infrastructure.

What are your main priorities and objectives in Mexico?

MB In Mexico, we have several objectives. The first is education, where we created the first free cyber academy for students to get access to top cybersecurity labs, and every week or so we hold seminars. We also have several executive education programs available for large companies. The second objective is regulation. Mexico and Latin America have no laws regarding cybersecurity, and we need to protect the ecosystem. The third objective is education and changing the framework. We are focused on staying close to our customers and helping them evolve their cybersecurity to the current business age. We complement these with things that work in other countries, so we can raise the bar in Mexico.



You may also be interested in...


MEXICO - Industry

Martín Toscano


President, Evonik Industries


MEXICO - Industry

Luis Gerard


President, Bohn de México/FB Group


MEXICO - Telecoms & IT

Alejandro Hernández Bringas


CEO, MCM Telecom

View All interviews



Become a sponsor