The Business Year

Close this search box.
Foreign and local firms alike have honed their skills in Indonesia's dynamic market over the past few decades.

Witold Nowak

CEO & Director, Vantage Commerce

The origins of our group are in Germany and Russia, where we have been equipment dealers for over 40 years. I had been in Southeast Asia since 2009 on a different assignment, but in 2015 I founded Vantage Commerce Group. I was able to combine some of my pre-existing connections and create a great team for our new venture. The economy in Indonesia had been growing considerably, and the only thing it truly lacks in order to offset domestic logistics costs was further development in infrastructure, such as roads, railways, airports, and sea ports. I saw the potential in this market and worked to develop Vantage Commerce Group, focusing on construction in Southeast Asia, and, in particular, Indonesia. After establishing our HQ in Singapore in 2015, we opened our first company in Indonesia in 2016 and are about to open a second company here to meet increasing demand. While our first Indonesian company was established to distribute state-of-the-art construction technology from Europe and the US, the second company will handle contracting jobs. We are specialized in soil improvement, which is one of the pillars of any successful major infrastructure projects.

Nariman Prasetyo

President Director, Wijaya Karya Bangunan Gedung (WIKA Gedung)

The objective of our acquisition process is to mix key elements of our business. We have a strategic business, especially for our wider group strategy, which focuses on precast, prefabrication, and geotech, namely soil testing. Precast is industrial products, and we already have a subsidiary in this segment. We also have our prefabrication or module components business, where we make module products, especially for high-rise buildings and to support the government’s One Million Houses program. As for the balance between private and public projects, around 70% of our projects are private and the remaining 30% come from the government. Our residential and hospital projects are mostly private, while the airport and other similar projects are public. Our plan is to develop our airport business using the build, operate, transfer (BOT) system, though we will only do the construction and not the operations. Similarly, we have recently started working with PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI) to develop the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) concept area in Pasar Senen Station, Jakarta. Moreover, our precast business produces precast components for the government’s housing program not only in Java, but also in Kalimantan and other provinces. We have growing projects elsewhere, and around 80% of the buildings we construct are sold.

Todd Lauchlan

Country Head, Todd Lauchlan

We originally set up business here in 1981 and have been here for 36 years. Two years before that, we were involved in one of the first projects in Jakarta’s central business district. Our history goes all the way back to the creation of a more formal real estate and office market in Jakarta as it began to open up. We are the founding foreign company that came to Indonesia and set up with a local partner. Because of that, many of the original practices around measurement standards came from our first forays into the country. As for JLL, Asia has been always been a major focus; the original branch of the business was opened in Australia in 1950s, followed by Singapore, Hong Kong, and Jakarta, and eventually China and Japan. All offices essentially offer the same services, ranging from facilities management in which we look after properties onsite, to project management and advisory and feasibility studies, selling, and leasing. Aside from Jakarta, we operate offices in Bali and Surabaya. In addition, we have staff in around 30 locations around the country and are about to sign a large outsourcing deal with a large foreign manufacturer that will take our headcount from 650 to 1,700 in 2018.



You may also be interested in...

Maurits Klavert

INDONESIA - Agriculture

The Milk of Life


President Director, PT Frisian Flag Indonesia

Endang W. Hoyaranda

INDONESIA - Health & Education

Superior Quality Test Control


President Director, Prodia Group

Rahmad Pribadi

INDONESIA - Real Estate & Construction

Filling the Niche


CEO, PT Semen Baturaja

View All interviews



Become a sponsor