The Business Year

Close this search box.
Sanjay Anand

OMAN - Industry

Sanjay Anand

COO & Head, Jindal Shadeed Iron & Steel


A steel industry expert with over 34 years of varied experience, Sanjay Anand has been COO & Head of Jindal Shadeed Iron & Steel LLC., (JSIS) Oman since 2017. Under his strategic guidance and leadership, the Jindal Shadeed Oman facility has successfully accomplished various milestones and accolades. He started his career with Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL), Bhilai in 1985. He has also worked in JSW for 10 years and ISMT Limited for four years. He has been associated with Jindal Steel & Power Ltd., since 2012.

The key is to focus on backward integration, asset sweating, and optimal utilization of available resources.

Can you walk us through your growth strategy for the medium term?
Currently, we are producing around 2.4 MTPA steel through use of our own DRI, which is around 200,000 MT per month of steel produced, which is sold in the local market and primarily in the GCC. Our product composition is square billets, round billets, and rebar. 32% of the steel product is sold locally in Oman, while the remaining 68% is exported to various countries in GCC, Europe, and Far East. In rebar, we are market leader in Oman and also a leader in the export of rebar to the UAE. Round and rebar are our premium products and encompass 82% of our product portfolio, all of which is either sold locally or in the GCC. In this context, our medium-term growth strategy is becoming self-reliant in the bulk raw material required for producing steel and increasing market penetration and market share in the GCC, US, Southeast Asia, China, and Europe.

What technological upgrades can enhance the iron and steel manufacturing supply chain process in Oman?
The key is to focus on backward integration, asset sweating, and optimal utilization of available resources. To increase throughput dollar per minute, we have undertaken two investments to increase our SMS capacity from 2 MTPA to 2.4 MTPA by debottlenecking constraint up the value chain by adding a 2nd caster to our steel plant. On the upstream side, we have upgraded our DRI capacity from 1.5 MTPA to 1.8 MTPA. This backward enhancement brings down our cost and reduces our dependence on the purchase of metallics from the market. Going further, we have plans to transform JSIS Oman into a fully backward-integrated plant with upcoming investment in a lime and dolo calcination plant and prospective additional capacities in the form of a DRI and pellet plant. Moreover, we are improving maintenance practices through the use of automated tools, business excellence techniques, TPM, lean practices, better housekeeping of assets, TOC, data analytics, the systemic integration of SAP with automation systems, and more. We have enhanced our capacity utilization at various plants from 5-10% on a YoY basis.



You may also be interested in...

Abdullah Al-Badi CEO, Future Cities SAOC (TADOOM)

OMAN - Telecoms & IT

Abdullah Al-Badi


CEO, Future Cities SAOC (TADOOM)


OMAN - Agriculture

Dr. Ahmed Al Marhoubi


CEO, Oman India Fertilizer Company (OMIFCO)


OMAN - Economy

Abdulsalam Al Murshidi


President, Oman Investment Authority (OIA)

View All interviews



Become a sponsor